Sunday, November 9, 2014

Postaphobia

Fear of posting to a new and empty discussion forum.  That's postaphobia.  I googled to see if there was such an affliction, and finding none, made up the word 'postaphobia.'  Most people will not post on a new board.  They might register and watch to see if anyone posts something, but an empty discussion forum is apparently a huge turn-off.  Most new boards languish and die in precisely this way.

When I set out to design a new forum, I wanted to have what others didn't.  I wanted it organized a lot better.  I wanted discussions of suicide to abide the host provider's TOU, but to not drive it all the way to the other extreme where discussions were immediately and completely squelched.  Suicide's become one of the last taboos on the internet, and in my opinion, that's about five miles south of ridiculous.  So I wanted it to be a safe topic.  I didn't want a board that descended into talks about graphic sex and about drug use, socially acceptable or not.  A lot of forums have turned into havens that were nothing more than craigslist personals.  I wanted a real board that would be a real resource that provided real support.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Ah, well.  I'm not ready to give up just yet.

So, okay, I really want to stick it out a little while longer, but I don't know how much longer before it becomes pathetic.  I hesitantly started a new discussion forum for depression and other mental illnesses.  The forums out there right now are, in my opinion, inadequate in one major way or another.

http://depressionboards.freeforums.net/


But still, I hesitated, and that's because it's extremely difficult to get a board off the ground.  I have no idea why that is, but really, it's damn near impossible.  If there's something wrong with mine, a huge and obvious turn-off somewhere, I have no idea what that might be.  All I can think to do is sit and wait and hope someone somewhere decides to post something.

So I'll give it a little more time.  Maybe figure out a way to reward the first ten posters to the forum or maybe some other incentive or a prize or something.  Three new posts per day would get it rolling, I'm sure.  Until then, it's very discouraging, even demoralizing, but I'm going to stick it out at least one more month. 

Take a peek if you haven't already.  And if you notice something I don't notice, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment